Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Movie Maker

Last night,
I had a dream that I was movie maker.
Not sure if that meant
I was a producer or director
or screen play writer.
I only know that I made movies.

I was holding a preview
of some new movies I had just made.
A few short movies,
and one full length documentary film.

Many were invited to attend.
Friends and family. . .
. . and some not so friendly,
those who would prove to play the role of "foe"
in the documentary.

I think there were three short films.
While I don't recall what the others were about,
one of the films was about the flag.
It detailed what the colors
and symbols mean.
In my dream,
I remember feeling like
so many people just don't have a clue
as what symbols are,
as to what power symbols can have.
I think using the flag to explain the power of symbol
was only a prelude
to the symbols that would be found
in the documentary.

The documentary, however, was a bit difficult.
It detailed a real life situation
of a man who overcame many obstacles
to get where he is today.
And many who created those obstacles
were there watching the film.

There were also many in attendance
who had absolutely no idea
what this man overcame... not a clue.
Impressed by his story,
they began to ask him questions after the film was over.

Needless to say,
those who gave him grief
tried to defend their actions,
saying that he deserved to be treated in such a fashion,
that it was for is own good
and development.

Yet, the people seemed to support this man.
It's like,
they had an entirely new respect for him
and for those like him,
living through similar circumstances.

The man in my dream
was a Roman Catholic Priest
who was pushed out of public ministry
by leadership
who tried to impose
the rule of obedience
in nonsensical ways,
in ludicrous ways.
He began to be treated badly by leadership
when he began questioning injustice
within his group.

The movie detailed how he was still
very much involved in a public ministry,
though no longer in a formal way with the church.

The people in my dream
wanted very much for him
to return to a formal public minstry,
though they realized that this would not be possible
with the current rules and regulations of the church.

Those who pushed him out of ministry
continued to defend their actions
and their motives.

No formal decisions were made.
The man didn't decide
to try and persue a formal public ministry.
The people didn't decide
to make noise about it.
The church leaders who gave him grief
didn't decide to keep an eye on him.

But it was obvious that the movie
struck a nerve with all present.
And that no one in attendance
would ever see things the same way.

No comments: