Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Graduation Gown

Last night I had a dream about a graduation gown.
I don't remember all of it,
but I do remember enough of it to write about it here.

I dreamt that my sister and I were both graduating.
I don't know from what. . .college . . high school. . .
. . .or some other special school. . .
I only remember that we were both going to graduate
at the same school in the same ceremony.

When we received our graduation gowns
I immediately ironed mine and hung it up
so that it would be ready for the ceremony.
My sister never took hers out of the bag.

We began discussing when the rehearsal for graduation would be.
We both remembered that the rehearsal was to be held
on the same day as the graduation.
However, we disagreed on the time.

I said it was in the morning.
She said it was at 6:00p.m.,
one hour before the ceremony.
I told here that couldn't be right.
At 6:00p.m. people would already be arriving
to find a good seat
and find a good parking place.

We decided that she would
go in the morning, just to make sure.
I would stay home.
After all,
we had the same last name
and would surely be seated next to each other.
She would go in the morning
and then fill me in on the details.
If it turned out that the rehearsal was in the evening,
well,
we would just both go then.

So, she went.
But she took her gown as well.
She didn't plan on coming home
until after the graduation ceremony.
It turned out the rehearsal was, indeed,
in the morning.

As the hour approached for me to get ready,
I couldn't find my graduation gown.
I looked everywhere.
All of the bedrooms in the house,
the closets, the bathroom, the basement.
I couldn't find it anywhere.

And then it occurred to me that maybe
my sister had taken my gown
when she left in the morning.

So, I went to her room to look for her gown.
Sure enough, her gown was still there,
still in the plastic bag it came in.
I decided that my only alternative
was to iron it and use that one.
So I did.

Then she came home and announced
that she had taken the wrong gown.
And she wanted hers.
I wouldn't give it to her
because she had already worn my gown
and it would need to be re-ironed.
I told her that I was going to use her gown.
After all,
I had already ironed two gowns
and I wasn't about to iron one of them all over again.

I don't know. . . .
. . .but there does seem to be some parallel
with this graduation gown dream
and the dream I posted in this blog yesterday
about the car and the pot holes in the road.

Anyhow,
that's all I remember about this graduation gown dream.
I don't remember if my sister got made at me
for not giving her the gown.
Of if I got mad at her
for taking my gown in the first place.

But there you have it: Last Night's Dream!

No comments: