Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Shrink in Canada

I dreamt
that I had been going to visit
a shrink.
For whatever reason,
I had stopped my sessions for awhile.

I felt like I needed to check in with him
so I decided to give him a call
and set up an appointment.

I couldn't find his business card anywhere.
I looked in the yellow pages.
I looked online.
No listing.

So,
I decided to just over there
and make an appointment
with the receptionist.

When I got there,
he had a group in session.
They were just taking a break.
He greeted me
but said he couldn't see me at that moment.
I told him that I knew that.
I just wanted to make an appointment
and couldn't find his phone number.

I made the appointment
then I left.

But then,
I suddenly became aware
that I couldn't remember where I parked.
The sidewalk became narrow.
Actually,
there were two rows of sidewalks.

And then I realized that I was on a bridge.
There were no handrails,
nothing to keep me from falling over
into the water.

The sidewalk I was walking on
suddenly became slanted.
I slipped and was just barely hanging on.
I did manage to get up
and started walking on the other sidewalk
as that was closer to the building.

And then I realized that I was in Canada.
I finally remembered where I parked.
But I couldn't remember how
to back to the U.S.

I wasn't really feeling scared at all.
More like challenged,
a sense of trying something new.

No comments: